Thread: PGDmC: Knight Fever

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winwardo View Post
    Considering that the computers at my school where I want this to be able to play can barely run OpenGL and require all textures to be a power of 2 in size, I thought I'd put it down to 512x512 just incase. It would be using practically the same amount of memory either way, but this way I can be definite that it will run on older machines.
    (We're talking horrible beige clacky keyboards and towers here in some cases, not a pretty sight)
    You mean really old computers? Sounds like 10+ years old. Not that an old computer is useless but it is getting a bit hard to accept computers without at least half-decent GPUs.

Blog Entries
    Also most newer cards, even the fairly older ones mind you, don't nessiccarily need to be 1:1 scale (square). They can be rectangular in size as long as both dimensions are each power of 2. So for example a 'modern day' card should support 512x1024 sized textures, but it never hurts to test this.

There is a tool that used to be hosted on Delphi3D.com before when the site was still online. It was a great resource from way back that has since turned into a ghost site and eventually inactive. It was called glinfo and when ran, it would tell you exactly what maximum size your textures could be on that system. Great for testing systems and your development system to set yourself a target minimum/maximum for OpenGL version and specs.

There is this other one now that should work for most platforms that you can develop for using Object Pascal. It's called GLview 3.0 and it'll work on win32/64 and Mac OS X as well as iOS and Android devices too. Maybe see if they'll let you run this program on your school? It was approved for the iPhone/iPad by Apple so that kinda says something. Worked alright when I ran in on my devices.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder