Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best engine for me?

Best engine for me?

Hello there!

I'm completely new to game programming, and I'll be choosing my engine.
    I'm planning on creating a thirth-person RPG game in RAD Studio XE.
    ( so that you look from above, sorta)

Could you tell me what the best engine for me is at the moment?
    A lot of documentation is preferred ofcourse.

Greetings & thank you

Blog Entries
    How much previous programming experience do you have? As an all rounder, I might check out SDL...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Well, I have experience with databases, networking, & basic applications in Turbo Pascal

Well, I have experience in overall Turbo Pascal programming.
    But not yet in SDL ;-)

Networking, data processing & general applications.

Greetings

Blog Entries
    SDL then would, from what I have seen, be your best bet at getting started in graphics programming. If I recall, http://www.freepascal-meets-sdl.net/ has a lot of good tutorials in pascal with instructions to set it all up and get underway. When I was learning off those, I only encountered one or two hitches (from my idiocy att typing ) but otherwise some great tuts. I would say, start off with that and when you get to grips more with graphics and pascal perhaps check out OpenGl/ZenGl.

Oh, sorry for not saying earlier, but welcome to the forums.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to PGD!

I'm glad to see that you want to take your new found programming skills and learn to make games. I would of course recommend SDL if you have basic knowledge of the 'Classic Pascal' language. However don't start with an overly ambitious project. (Disappointed is the over-anxious new guy who tried to make the next WoW as his first game.)

What I tell everyone new to programming games is start with something simple to learn the structure of a game first. For example pong or Snake/Tron or something that you'd only complete in your dreams. And not know it until you learned how these games are made in the first place.

There is a lot to learn even in some of the most mediocre game genre let alone RPGs, MMOs, RTS games, etc...

You first game programs should wow you so much as they give you a sense of accomplishment of learning a new way to program. This is what you should stive for first.

On graphics, you'll want to start with SDL and not even look at OpenGL until you have fully understood 2D graphics first. Sure you can skip ahead, but you'll only confuse yourself without the benefit of learning anything from it.

I'd recommend the Free Pascal meets SDL website as well, but I'd also recommend the Pascal Programming for Schools too. They have some great resources including a Game Development section/tutorial that has example games and tutorials on how to get started.

Good luck on your starting out in games! But please please please, start small. (Tron, Pong, Arkanoid, Snake, etc) This is how we all learned, but doing small projects and moving on to slightly bigger each step.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Good luck on your starting out in games! But please please please, start small. (Tron, Pong, Arkanoid, Snake, etc) This is how we all learned, but doing small projects and moving on to slightly bigger each step.
    Truly this is the best advise ... don't rush... small steps to success...
    Focus to a small project first... Create the diagram program in your mind and in paper... start coding...
    Good Luck...

Thank you all for your valuable replie
    Will surely take in mind that I need to start small.

Website seems good to work with, altough the blue color hurts my eyes

Greetings & thanks in advance,
    Nindustries

Having some serious problems compiling SDL.pas tough

Hi all.
    I am also new on graphics programming. I have always dreamed on making a 3D game, and now I have started to develop a very simple game: just an scenario of boxes, and a guy that just moves around with collisions. Pretty easy, with no textures, little lighting, etc... but in a future (years) I want to make a persistent world, so the project will grow (step by step, I have got this clear).

About the engine, I have started using GLScene. It is really easy to use, it is object-oriented, and you don't need to know commads as GL_XXXX or SDL_XXX. I have been surprised that none of you have recommended this engine as a point of start. Can I ask why? Have I done a bad choice?
    What are the advantages / disadvantages of SDL (or ZenGL) against GLScene?

Best regards,
    LoPiTaL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast