Thread: Test OpenGL compatibility before initialising

Test OpenGL compatibility before initialising

:roll:

I have a new problem
    Is it possible to test the compatibility of a computer before initialising GLXDraw1.Initialize? I would like to cut down on crashes because some computers do not seem to handle opengl adequately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ralph
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Mayby you could test with the glGet(GL_VERSION) that returns the installed opengl version, not shure it will do the trick however.
    Amnoxx

Oh, and this code appears to be an approximate replacement for return(random() & 0x01);

Phoenix Wiki
    http://www.phoenixlib.net/

Phoenix Forum
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewforum.php?f=71

Or the Vendor string, if it says Microsoft then you know it's only Softwaremode....

I have kind of solved the problem.

I am using glGetString(gl_version) if its less than 1.2 then it seems to bomb, and if gl_renderer is Microsoft of S3 then I also stop the program also.

Just a question is it possible to get the gl_version in the dpr? I figure you would need a canvas but has anyone got a way to find out what version of OpenGL is available before the mainform is created?

The reason I would like to know is that in the DPR I make a decision to either start up my glxtreem app or my G32 (software) app.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

you probably could create a hidden form in your dpr that creates a context and gets all the information you want. The user will not notice anything...