My game select screen is controlled by the Mouse - choosing characters etc.

In game itself only keyboard supported as mouse wouldn't make sense and I am certainly not going to have time to get joystick working by then

Here is a screen shot showing all the characters I'm releasing with my game:

Each character is managed through a config file (so adding new charaters takes me about 20 minutes - mostly creating the images). Actually everything can be added to the game through config files - Maps, weapons and new obstructions are all supported. (I'm hoping to include a few tutiorials along with the game about customising it). Also I'm hoping to include an expansion pack downloadable from my web site.

Today I created a nice opening screen - 3 different background images included (to set the fantasy theme). The intro allows choosing your charater - currently only local mode works, hopefully get network working on Sunday.

Also today moved everyhting into config files - basically using standard ini format for all of them - not fast but easily customizable.

I'm trying to load a demo onto my web site now - but it seems to be taking forever - but this link may work

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/dgdev/release.zip
Unzip into a directory - making sure you keep the subdirectories as subdirectories (Images, Data and Maps).

Current release size = 4.1 MB (Which makes it my biggest ever released game) but on disk the directory is 198MB work of files and data - mostly (164MB) my images and temporary images and half done image files etc.

I think after the contest my engine would be really nice to turn into a multiplayer D&D adventure engine. All of us can get together and travell through a cave system or something, just need AI for monsters - needed for some spells anyway - but the structure would suit that very well.