Quote Originally Posted by WILL
I think what you are trying to bring up here is different races. I think that races are a great idea... esp. if you could mix and match races available for hire... OR it is somehow randomly factored into it, but with a ballance... Maybe you pick your Kindom's Default Race and have a mild selection from that...

As for creatures as upposed to 'men' I've never been too keen on the usage of animals in RPGs... Mind you maybe using a dragon or some other summoned monster might be different. But then we're getting into spells that summon temporary NPCs for the battle rather than characters that you keep for later.
Ah why not animals and monsters? I think it whould be a nice idea..
It will give us a lot of freedom in doing characters. And what about robots and veichles ?
I think the freedom is better than a "pure fantasy" setting.. Also becouse our graphical appearence will be quite limited, and we are not going to achieve a nice fantasy theme anyway.
If we remove characters, all the game will be based only on men (except for summoning). I think it would be much more vary with them.

In the game Dungeon Seige there is a way that they use 3D objects/models so that when you change say.. to a different helmet from the one you have on, it'll change your characters appearance seemingly my merging a different model or 'hat model' on oyur character's head.. same with the shirt/pants, boots, gloves, items/weapons in hands, etc... If you could learn this technique and how to do it nice and smoothly I think it'll offer you the solution you need for all these massive amounts of combinations, rather than trying to model each and every type of combo you can think of yourself. Plus it'll allow you to make different styles for your A) Characters; Different body colors, heads(hair no hair, elven ears, beards, scars, etc), body type, hands, etc. and B) Items Different styles of helmets and armour + items to give that sort of 'bling' factor.
Ok, this was already in my mind.. if you look at my models, you see that bodys are always the same, with different clothes.
Over this, we could add little differences on "naked characters" such as skin color, eyes, etc just as you said.
In this way all (man) units will share the same animation set (good thing).
But as soon as you add another race (where the naked character is different), you'll need another set.
For example, if you have a "dwarf" model, it will be different from a man, and will require different animations (being shorter much of them will not work good).
Also, we must care that an equip (hat, armor, etc) will look good on all type of character. Think of a robe that works for a dwarf and a giant

Well thats good in a way.. because if the guy doesn't buy and archers or anything then you can just use yours you mow his ass down before he can reach you because he didn't ballance his forces out very well. It plays into tactics and techniques with resource management. So it's good! But yes, you must of course balance he costs of different weapons, ammos and the like. But as you get more powerful arrows or swords and armour, you'll need to raise the amount it's worth.
Ok, you're right I didn't tought of the strategic part.

Yeah... thats an excellent idea on that. Each item has a 'Army Points' value to it.. and you can only take into combat the amount that you set... this may include your men/women aswell. Depending on the level of the characters thats how much they are worth too. Keep in mind that though each member of your army will have their equiped weapons there should be also a sort of cache of weapons and items that your 'kingdom' or army will have in surplus before you give them you your people [size=9px](ala. the Squad Game style of play, only in X-Com the items were annoyingly reset each time you sent them back out which made it annoying to try to match weapons with the member's individual tallents)[/size]
Eheheh you're right Maybe we could set up something to give the possibility to build and save armies. For example, i build (in the managerial part) an army of 100 points and save it. Then for each match less than 100 points i enter, i can automatically choose that army..

Well this idea is coming along nicely... I'd never have thought that I'd see the day when another Squad Game, nor a Fantasy/RPG tyle squad game would come to pass in this era of computer games.
Well there is a lot of work before that

I've started to work on some aspects of the game..
I'm working on a GUI implementation (that i needed also for other games ) and it works nicely except that it don't look any "fantasy"
Anyone good in drawing nice fantasy interfaces ? :mrgreen: