In some respects I agree with you dmantione, there is a big barrier for beginners, but I think Dirk summed it up nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by Huehnerschaender
What I did when I started 3D stuff was, asking questions on this kind of forums and if I did not understand something I used google to find out what it is about. This way you learn MUCH more than if someone tells you "DirectX is a framework to access the computers hardware", because you have to read through things, find new "unknown worlds", read further, learn more and more, and finally when you know what you were looking for, you may be able to make use of it.
Whilst there maybe a barrier, if people REALLY want to do this stuff, they'll go off and research, get books (everyone who asked me what I wanted for a christmas present last year was given the title of a different book), experiment and ask more questions until finally the barrier is gone.

The web is awash with information from the very basics right the way up to how to squeeze every last pixel out of your GPU. If people want to know about this stuff, they can find out. But they have to want to do it... they have to want to put the time in.

Half the fun is figuring everything out for yourself.