I'm thinking about a project for a near future (it means "some day after PGD-Annual'09" ). It will be a development environment (actually an IDE), and I decided to do it script-able. Actually all the functionality of the application will be written as script except the most basic actions (i.e. the kernel). Initially I planned to use Pascal Script but since the IDE will support different languages (unlimited thanks to the SynEdit engine) I'm now looking for a scripting engine that allows more than one language.

I've found FastScript, which allows to define a new script language from a XML file, but it's shareware.

I can improve my old BAScript virtual machine, which uses a FORTH-like low-level language and should be easy to write a translator (compiler) from other languages. I never used it for a real project and I know it needs a big improvement but I'm tempted to use it with a BASIC-like language and add more languages (C-like) in later versions.

An alternative would be to use Lua, which is popular and there are a nice wrapper by Eon Clash. Unfortunatelly I never used Lua as language and most tutorials are directed for an specific purpose.

What do you think?