Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
FUR was never designed to run on a "128Mb Intel crappy video". It uses some pretty heavy effects like deferred shading (rendering to 3 textures at once) and +20 light on the screen (continuously). The minimum requirement is pixel and vertex shader 3.0. The engine is not bad, it's done by design. I'm not planning to downgrade anything. I want to create nice looking games with stat of the art effects and for that you need a video card. Welcome the world of games. So for this time you have to do it with the movies we create.
Chill, wasn't meant to p1$$ ya off, but when I think of an arcade machine I don't think of the state of the art graphics chipset being installed. Most MAME and likewise arcade systems (wasn't this an arcade contest) are designed for lower end hardware for a reason (the reach and "reuse").

Just to be somewhat fair, ran it on my ATI box as well (honestly can't pull specs from here but I know its a Radeon, DX10 support, and at least 256Mb) it still bottlenecks (all other specs are pretty much the exact same, guess I need that latest and greatest 512+ card).

Quote Originally Posted by Zhooibaal
Let me add to that that there aren't any Intel graphics chips that are even designed to run games.
True, but it is also one of the most common chipsets in notebooks (ok laptops whatever) on the market today. If your going to design for high end hardware then you should test up front during the load for that hardware and warn the user if they don't meet your expectations, or scale down the effects (as many production games do) so the user can at least see that you have something beautiful instead of wonder what died.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
LOL Fair enough...but didn't you read the instructions pdf I provided? The controls were on the 3rd page
Paul, I did read the directions (after I ran the game LOL) but when I play test I try to do it from the perspective of what the average user is going to do. In the idea of an arcade game few (if anyone) will have access to your manual .

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
TIP: Play the "west circuit" track because "deep highway" is just too full of powerups. Turbo means instant death because you'll just crash into something muhaha.
I'll give it a shot next time I have time to play some games (that arn't board games or involve 7 year olds ).

Quote Originally Posted by noeska
All you need is inkscape and notepad.
Got a writeup on that anyplace? I'd set my 7yo to work creating something for his brother to play in . He does ok with InkScape and I'm serious when I say Chance loved it.

In general
I'm not a hardcore gamer, never claimed to be, never want to be. I have a wonderful family and enjoy spending time with my children outdoors. I've worked in the industry plenty, love designing/play testing, but it's not a life I'd lead on my own time or $$. If asked what type of "gammer" I was I'd have to answer "8bit and green all the way".

Most players (greater than 90%) NEVER read a manual! In fact this has been proven with more than one game and more than once by placing blatant cheat codes, tricks, and tips in manuals only to have them "discovered" some time later and passed via NG/MG/Web to the rest of the playerbase.

Few people look at your spec sheet and requirements, even fewer pay attention to it. But, plenty of people will be happy to tell you how bad it failed on their hardware if its allowed to run without warning them.

I just though with a few minutes I had I'd spend some time showing my kids some new games and put some thoughts out that may be useful to developers or anyone else. I'm off back into my world of marketing, the great outdoors, and tinkering with the kids. CYA on the flipflop.

- Jeremy