Revising the concept code of a new server application for the home server to run (yes you're reading that right, I'll explain later) I've stumbled across an efficiency problem that theoretically is void but I thought I would as anyway (after someones great signature said something like:
'In theory nothing works and everyone knows why, in practice everything works and no-one knows why, combine the two and nothing works and no-one knows why'
I remembered theory is usually the opposite of what happens)

The question: which is better for a hyperthreaded dual core system (atom, nothing fancy): lots of really little threads, or a few big threads? The same amount of work needs to be done, so the same amount of cycles - but which makes better use of 4 cores? 4 big threads or 6 little threads?

For those wanting to know what the server program is for, its a slaw of the original telnet/bbs systems; managing the tty, files, news (RSS) and logs from one place with the capability of having multiple clients connected. I know there is probably an app like that, but since I can't be bothered sudoing my way around config files and that I could be bothered to get some more networking practice with the Sockets unit in - off the project went