Thread: Jink framework and game engine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar

Jink framework and game engine

Hi All,

As some of you know I've been working very hard for the past few years on my cross platform GUI and game engine. I've had to change the name a few times due to conflicts with other projects but the final name is "Jink"

The GUI and 2D parts of the framework (intended for both application and game interface use) can currently render using the following :

OpenGL 2.x / 3.x / 4.x
    Graphics32 (Win,Linux)
    Quartz (OSX)
    (I also have a VESA version compiled under GO32 but that's just for fun)

It's a full region invalidating GUI but can also work in a double buffered manner with per window RTs.

The 3D game engine requires a minimum of OpenGL 3.0 but to use all the features you need GL4.x.

I will give a full list of capabilities soon, I may decide to remove unfinished parts for the first version in order to get it released at some point this decade

But just to give you an idea, it's equivilent to GLScene in feature set, exceeds it in many ways and utilizes some of the very latest features on GPUs in it's various modules. It's 3D model support and animation capabilities are very advanced.

It would go a lot quicker if one of you other snazzy engine devs would merge projects with me so we can finally have a reference engine to raise bar to that of our C++ rivals

It's my hope that people will either use it to create cross platform apps/games or use it as a reference to bring their own engines out of the GL 2.x dark ages.

Here's a screenie to whet your appetite - a Quake 1 map with an active particle system, and a GL4.0 tesselated terrain engine with fresnel water simulation, it's basically a port of the Nvidia Islands DX11 demo to GL4 but I've abstracted it into my 'region' concept so it can be used in a game (you can have multiple regions, nested if you desire, so you could for example walk from a BSP map out onto the terrain.. well if there were some doors. Portal rendering optimizations from BSP -> terrain/voxel/planet etc are in place but requires more development) I shall be releasing before autumn hopefully.

LatestScreen3.jpg

(apologies for the poor compression ratio, having problems uploading larger files)
    Last edited by phibermon; 30-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.