Thread: Hex map designer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I dont think that most of you really grasp the design that I have in mind these maps will be nothing more then custom bitmaps you will be able to draw to them just like any other map,only they will use brushes rather then colors in the rendering process. in 2d these brushes are mostly textures created from scripts. in 3d they will be shapes with textures bound to them. 3d will support height mapping that will look something like what you would expect from a vortex engine. most path finding operations as well as ai will be done from the bitmap level. 3d will only serve to display changes and translate 3d mouse clicks to 2d map coordinates. combat will look something like spellforce to start and if i get that far I go from there. to begin with I will support 2 types of tiles quad and hex. animation will be done from bones and joints but no skinning. models will be broken down to head,torso,arms and legs, something like that. I have done some experimenting on this and it seems to work well enough will keeping the design simple and flexable. 3d shapes brought into the game from other sources like blender an such will be bound to tiles where they can easily be dropped onto a map. there is still much to consider, changes to be made, but for now this is my plan. I'm going to keep it rather small scale and go for quality vs quanity.
    Edit: also I would like the movement to be free movement where the tile represent the destination but character moves smoothly to the destination
    Last edited by Carver413; 18-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.