Thread: Qdfps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    He guys,

So a little update on this little project. I have been working on and off on this project for the last month again. Most of these time I have spend rewriting and refining system but also added some new features.

- Optimized map memory usage. Map system now uses pointers so cube records are now only allocated when needed.
    - Optimized cube rendering. Cubes are now grouped by texture, fixed some hidden surface removal bugs.
    - New scripting language. Supports functions with parameters now and parsing is more robust.
    - Switched from SDL1 to SDL2 because in future I want to use OpenGL 4.x for rendering.
    - Switched from color picking for selection to raycasting method. OpenGL 4 doesn`t support this so removed it.
    - Texture based font rendering. Used glBitmap before and OpenGL 4 doesn`t support this so removed it. Also text is scalable now.
    - New TGA texture loader and texture management system.
    - New map improved map format. Used roughly 1/10 of the space used before.
    - Directional lighting with shadow casting. Its per vertex lighting but still looks pretty good because of the high poly count.

Next things I will be working on is refinement of the lighting system. It still has some problems and I have some ideas to improve that. Not sure if I will look into point and spot lights already to. I also want to make the editing a bit easier. Instead of placing one block at a time I want to be able to select and manipulate selections of multiple blocks. Other things I want to work on is physics and collision.

Anyway like always there are some screens and the latest binaries included in this post and a little video showing the latest test level with lighting!

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (47.4 KB, 7 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.3 KB, 10 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files