It just so happens that I can assist

One of the applications I created at work can import data directly from Excel spreadsheets. It requires Excel to be installed on the machine, but uses late binding to get around potential version differences.

Code:
fExcelApp:=CreateOleObject('Excel.Application');

if (not varIsEmpty(fExcelApp)) then
begin
  if (fConfiguration.workbookPassword<>'') then
  begin
    password:=fConfiguration.workbookPassword;
  end
  else
  begin
    password:='ThisIsAnEmptyPassword'; // emptyParam;
  end;

try
    fExcelApp.Workbooks.Open(sourceFilename,ReadOnly:=true,UpdateLinks:=false,Password:=password);
  except
    on e:exception do
    begin
      fExcelApp.Quit
      exit;
    end;
  end;

try
    fExcelWorkbook:=fExcelApp.ActiveWorkbook;
  except
    on e:Exception do
    begin
      fExcelWorkbook:=null;
      fExcelApp.Quit;
      exit;
    end;
  end;

if (fExcelWorkbook.Worksheets.Count>0) then
  begin
    sheetName:=fConfiguration.worksheetName;

try
      fExcelWorksheet:=fExcelWorkbook.Worksheets.Item[sheetName];
    except
      on e:exception do
      begin
        fExcelWorksheet:=null;
        fExcelApp.quit;
        exit;
      end;
    end;
  end;

// Access the cells in the open worksheet like this:- fExcelWorksheet.cells.item[1,column]

fExcelWorksheet:=null;
  fExcelApp.quit;
end;
fExcelApp, fExcelWorkbook and fExcelWorksheet are all OleVariants. I can't post anymore than this snippet (which is lacking ALOT of error checking) as it's code from the product itself. For more information about the various methods etc. available to you, your best bet is the Microsoft Interop References (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ice.15%29.aspx - For Excel). It can be a real pain in the proverbial backside but once you get used to using them and working in this way you can do an awful lot. The same app that imports from Excel also opens InfoPath forms, renders them to a PDF document and copies all the attachments out to self contained files for later processing... all done in a similar convoluted fashion.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask