Ok, I've downloaded and played your game for a bit.

You should know that I've played a lot of different versions (note that I do not look for them, I usually run into one). Perhaps only two or three out of ten I could really enjoy (including the origional). Those were all 2D. I've yet to encounter a good 3D version though.

NB: Before you go any further: My points may appear a bit harsh, I apology upfront if you feel offended by them.
I know the work involved. But I also know that bad cristics are sometimes better than a simple 'good job'.

Ok here I go:

:arrow: There's no menu. People are used to a least some form of a menu, even its only a 'start game' and 'quit'.

:arrow: Although you mention in your first post the need of a joystick. I really found little need for it. In fact I think it plays just fine without one (I also saw this comment posted on gamedev)

:arrow: Add instructions in a seperate file! Especially which keys to use. I don't think people are going to spent 5 minutes looking which key to use to switch weapons or how to accelerate.

:arrow: That said, change your keys to more logical ones. F6/F7 to switch weapons really is not logical. Shift or Enter is.

:arrow: Better yet, though not completely necessary, let the user make his own configuration.

:arrow: When a player dies, allow him/her to replay the game. Do not automatically quit to Windows.

:arrow: I only saw a text saying I died. My ship however is still there. Seeing my ship get lost in an explosion would make it more fun for the player.

:arrow: Some sounds are really odd and appear to be out of place. Try to find sounds that match the event.

:arrow: The movement of your ship is not handled correctly. There appears to be no increase or decrease in velocity. It's either moving or it's not. Remember in space, you need a counterforce to stop you or you'll move forever. I realize its not a simulation so a speed decrease overtime could do, but a sudden stop is just not right.

:arrow: You should never make every gun in the game available at the very first level. Give the player something to look out for. Why bother playing if theres nothing to work for?

:arrow: I've yet to find out how missiles work. I can't shoot rocks with it in any case.

:arrow: Give the player some kind of warning that an ufo has entered the area. The first time I met the blue ufo I died instantly because it was shooting so fast I couldn't even react to the fact that it was even there.

:arrow: Scores, where are they?

The main reason I've yet to find a good 3D asteroids, is because I'm missing the action I see in 2D games. Yours is too, im sorry to say, just plain boring.
:arrow: First and foremost reason:
There's absolutely no speed in this game. Everything is going slow. The only thing that does go fast is getting shot by the blue ufo. But, once you figure out how to avoid it's bullets, its like a walk in the park and it gets old real fast.

:arrow: Secundary reasons:
- almost every rock has a pickup. Whats worse is that every rock has the same pickup several times, this makes it all very easy.
- I have little need to move around, because I can just shoot every rock from where I am. Unless i get shot by an ufo.
- The way to finish a level appears to be collecting yellow tubes. Meaning, I can use my gun with unlimited ammo to shoot every asteroid until I hit the good one and pick up the yellow tubes. I can do this without much risk of getting hit by an asteroid. In fact the only time I collided against one, was because I wanted to see what would happen.
- danger level is extremly low. Collisions hardly happen. And the enemies aren't exactly scary either.
- I have no visual representation of what I've done. No score, no fragcounter, nothing.

I'm not sure if this is a WIP (Work In Process) since you didn't specify either here or at gamdev.net. But I see a lot of room for improvements. The fact that you've not used textures, isn't really bothering me that much. It does however shift the focus more towards gameplay and that exactly what's lacking.

In any case I hope you'll continue to work on this, because there sure is potential.