Thread: Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here in this thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Welcome to all the new members
    cheers,
    Paul

Roughnight
    Hi

Been coding in Delphi a long time. Back to looking into Asphyre engine.

main reason for being here --- need to see if anyone has created a working sprite engine that will work in Lazarus. Ideally Asphyre 4.1 / Casual with spiteengine in Lazarus -- or even PXL. I just need to be able to code 2d games with a sprite engine basically. Asphyre 4.1 is great but dated and only supports Delphi.

Welcome to PGD.

Quote Originally Posted by DLPB View Post
    main reason for being here --- need to see if anyone has created a working sprite engine that will work in Lazarus. Ideally Asphyre 4.1 / Casual with spiteengine in Lazarus -- or even PXL. I just need to be able to code 2d games with a sprite engine basically. Asphyre 4.1 is great but dated and only supports Delphi.
    It's been a while since I last tinkred with Asphyre or PXL libraries. But unless there was a mayor change on how rendering is done I'm sure porting the old Sprite Engine from Asphyre 4.1 won't be to difficult. That is because from what I remember Sprite Engine basically just tells Asphyre Engine where and what to render. So you would only need to refactor this small portion of Sprite Engine code.

On the other hand you may want to check Castle Game Engine which supports both 2D and 3D rendering, has support for working with sprites (albeit in a different way than Sprite Engine for Asphyre). Castle Engine work both with Delphi or FPC, and even comes with its own Editor meaning you could potentially start designing your new game without writing a lot of code. CGE also supports many platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, Raspberry Pi, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch.
    And last and probably the best feature is that it is open source and being actively developed by many contributors.