Quote Originally Posted by Sly
I just spent most of today trying to play multiplayer BF2 over LAN. BF2 is so much less stable and less mod-friendly than BF1942. EA bought DICE after BF1942 was so successful, and as a result what could have been a great game has been crippled. The BF mod community is crying out because BF2 is not mod friendly, and they do not support co-op play over a LAN (stupid marketing decision to promote online play). This is one of the reasons I think game development is heading for a crash. Games are becoming too complex, therefore being released with more bugs. The big publishers are letting the marketing department determine the features that a game supports, not the developers. Therefore we end up with buggy, crippled games being released. That's killing my motivation to work in this industry as well.
I thought it was just me. I noticed that in most modern games the complexity increases and the overall quality decreases. UT2003 + UT2004 was a disappointment to me. UT2003 was plain buggy and when I got UT2004, I practically saw UT2003, or what it should look like in finished form. Why should buy two separate game titles, if they can't even sum to a decent single game? Just bought Half-Life 2 - another disappointment. WTF is the story about? When I got my first pistol (after about 30 mins of play!), it was already awful boring. Not to mention that while playing it, the "story script" got messed up few times (for instance, the girl got stuck in the elevator entrance so she wouldn't hit the switch button). And it took quite time to deinstall too, not to mention the sadness of wasted money.