Quote Originally Posted by michalis
Quote Originally Posted by WILL
Well I meant THE UNIX. But it seems that the original Unix is no longer with us. :? So I'll have to break this down further to include all the 'currently used' ones I guess. [size=9px](Though it does appear as if to commercial spin-offs --created by HP, IBM, OSC, etc-- sort of continue the original UNIX lineage... whats the story behind them?)[/size]
Oh, so you mean the one that worked on PDP-7 ? Full story about all Unixes deserves a book (and in fact it was covered in many books), see wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix for starters.
Yup, been there.

I'm not a big Unix guy, myself. Besdies Linux and MacOS X, I don't really care much about the rest. Unless someone wants to port one of my games over.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
- As for "FreeBSD" : FreePascal and Lazarus deserve a simple "X" there. Not "/" or "?" --- there's no reason to consider FreeBSD "partial", FPC works there since a long time and Lazarus too (from the point of view of Lazarus, differences between FreeBSD and e.g. Linux are very minor).
But is it 'complete' support? Or does it work only partly like WinCE and GBA? FreePascal.org/FPCWiki sites specify FreeBSD as being only partial right now.
Yes, it's a complete support, since a long time (pre-1.0.x AFAIK). It's absolutely comparable with the Linux support. I think that it's the most actively supported Unix, besides Linux and recent Mac OS X. Where on FPC wiki did you found mentions that it's partial ? Maybe you were confused by http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/FreeBSD page --- this is quite outdated (it's from around FPC 1.9.3 and FreeBSD 5.x line), but still it doesn't say that FreeBSD support is partial. Because it's not partial
Ok simple enough. Probably got it mixed up in my mind with all the other BSDs.

As for SkyOS: yup, it's not committed. It seems that people that ported it would like to make it committed, and Florian would like to accept it (if supplied in sensible format, i.e. a patch). Mark it as you like, I don't really care about SkyOS
Added the 3<sup>rd</sup> symbol. Simplifies it while being informative.

Guide Updated again!