Quote Originally Posted by WILL
So what is it about making music for games that you guy like? Whats your highlights?

Whats different from making music for a game compaired to that of a movie or just for it's own audio enjoyment?

What would be your favorite type of game to make music for, and why?

Also what do you feel would be the next step in improving music and sound in games? As it seems that we have peeked for the last few years leaving very little to improve upon in the way of audio.
I'm new here, and actually not a big gamer, so you might take what i say with a grain of salt. I'm been composing music in varying degrees for a couple years, and have found that what inspires me to write one thing or another is usually something environmental, or visual, rather than simply building on the tradition of music itself. A soundtrack for a movie can compliment whatever is going on on the screen, and usually it's something that coincides with the speed of the story, and moreso introduces intensity, wherever the visuals have not. As far as gaming music, it seems like much of it has been electronic, synthetic, rather than acoustically produced music. It's one of the few outlets for experimental sounds, and that sort of stuff thrives in an environment with lots of visual effects or a fictional storyline. Sometimes it can be hard to sell a creative premise to a first-time viewer/player, so the trick is to involve as many of their senses as possible, while remaining consistant in your look and feel. of course you all know this. I think the whole attraction for me is equal and opposite to that of the game developer. we'd all like to see our talent go as far as it possibly can. Just as you might want the best treatment given to your game, I seek the same for my music.

As for music technology, I haven't been around long enough to see it take a dive. It all looks shiney and new to me.

Anyways, thanks for reading my essay of a post, and check out my other post, "need music?" cheers