In fact, DanJetX has advantages when it comes to 3D. But I don't know what Asphyre 4 will bring, which is pointing right into that direction with the next release (Quake 3 model support, Shaders etc.). Asphyre has definitely the better 2D support. If I would like to make a game in 2D I always would stick with Asphyre. Also the particle engines of Aspyre will be interesting to you, because this thread started with fire creation.

I don't know what you want to do.... If you don't know Delphi, this might be the best point to start with!

Then try to do some easy things (maybe a 2D game... an easy one like Pacman, Tetris or something else to get the basics). For this purpose I would start with Asphyre, because it has many classes already done (Spriteengine, Particleengine etc).

In fact, I would not start with a 3D project if I didn't knew Delphi and have never done anything game related before. This might become very hard and you get stuck very soon.

If you are a little more advanced then you can consider yourself which component library fits to your needs best, because then you can understand the benefits of the one and the other.

Greetings,
Dirk