Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Genesis Device Update 2

Genesis Device Update 2

Are you using SDL or some other cross-platform api as well so we can see this baby running on Linux and MacOS X etc?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Genesis Device Update 2

The engine dll only uses windows api stuff in the rendering class. Rewriting that and the application using the dll should be all but that wouldnt be that much work.

Genesis Device Update 2

a friend of mine bought a new pc a few days back with a quadcore processor. He is always testing stuff for me and he told me that only one of the cores was being used. Since quad and duocore machines are getting more and more common and each nex gen engine today has it I started working on a multithreaded design for my engine today.

Here are some screenshots of my progress so far.

THis is on my own pc, an amd 64 bit 2 ghz with a single core and a gf6800. You can see it is being fully used like you would expect. The total bar represents the total CPU use over all the cores.

The next image is from an intel duocore with a gf 5900, here I split the the engine in 2 threads. Both cores are used, but not to there full extend. Still experimenting why that is. Also the engine runs on vista here. Perfomance is a bit bad here since it is run in windowed mode with crappy drivers. Also a gf5900 is a slow and card

The last one is made on an intel quadcore with a gf 8800. One single thread so only one core is used and a total of 25 % of total power. Note the high polycount, the grass density was set to maximum here . Still pretty good perfomance when rendering about 250000 grass polys .

Is there anyone of who has some experience with programming for multible core btw? Some tips could help.

Grz Luuk

Genesis Device Update 2

How do you render the grass? VBO?

Static geometry or affected by physics or wind or etc?
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Genesis Device Update 2

- Uses shaders to simulate wind effects.
    So i assume it uses static geometry with vertex/geometry shaders to simulate the wind
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Genesis Device Update 2

I first used displaylist for fast testing, then I switched to static VBO. VBO proved to be slower then displaylists so I switched back to displaylists. The animation of the grass is done in the shader and is controlled by wind direction and force it applies to the grass. the grass also has a variable which controls it resistance to the wind. So differend kind of grass can "sway" differently in the wind.

Here is a movie a a friend of mine made with his gf8800

HighRes (66 mb)
    http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/104...ghRes-avi.html

Grz Luuk

Genesis Device Update 2

Luuk, all I can say is that it looks absolutely fantastic! That is so neat that you used a shader for the grass' motion. I should really learn their full capabilities, because I never once thought you could do that with a shader!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123