Another world was like watching a cartoon when played well, there was no dialogue as such, it had an intro, various interesting sections, events which happened to the main character and an end, which was unexpected ( for me anyway )
My only gripe with Another World was that it was so very very unforgiving.. the key presses had to be spot on or it was squishy death, or drowny death... or spikey death.. I've played the game a million times, beaten it once.. and I still get killed by those slug things on the 1st level.

Doom on the other hand was fun on a very personal level, mowing through hordes of bad guys with a chain gun has a very satisfying feeling.. but I never felt like I was in the story... there wasn't really a story apart from something the id guys came up with a few hours before they shipped.

I've not played Halflife2, but I've heard that it's got a pretty decent expression system (as well as really good physics) does it add to the narrative though?

Fear had a good story, always kept me guessing. Scary too... sometimes too scary. (for me)

I don't mind reading a lot of text (completed Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter nights), as long as it's not boring. Deus Ex had a lot of background information hidden within texts, emails.. etc, the most important stuff was spoken, but a lot of the immersion was text.

Max Payne 2 had a good solid movie storyline, I enjoyed it immensely and played it to the end. Re-playability?... not so sure, but it was like playing a movie.. yeah, sure it was on rails.. (so heavily scripted) but it was supposed to be.

Halo on the other hand, Big game, fairly big story... boring (in my opinion there was far too much re-use of location meshes, made it too repetitive)

All of the games above would be nigh on impossible for a hobby game coder to write apart from say Another World .

I played C&C and didn't care for the story, I just wanted to blow up some tanks