Thanks a lot for the great information guys. I'm sort of wrapping all the issues that I'm going to be facing in my mind a little clearer now.

However, I must admit that some of the maths that you are trying to explain is going over my head a bit. To be completely honest, I'm a bit of a dumby when it comes to anything much further than basic trig and algebra right now. Though I do want to learn, I'm just unsure where to focus my efforts.

I have an alternative idea to creating a 3D model of the map. I could instead use a 2D version (same texture) and calculate the distance using a parabolic calculation of sorts. Doesn't have to be 100% accurate. It would be plausible solution should I just not be able to get things grooving the other way.

Actually this isn't too far off my original idea of just doing it in 2D (distances, movement, zones, etc) and simply plotting visually in 3D

My end goal is to do this at a level that I can learn rather quickly, yet retain some similarity to the real thing.

As I've said, I'm NEW to 3D. So I would like to dip my toe in to get a feel for it, not jump right into the Atlantic just yet.