Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
I hear you saying .NET is slow, Yuriy, but in my experiments with Chrome and .NET I have found this to not be the case. There are always bottlenecks and the language and framework dictate the location of these.
No, this wasn't what I said. I simply pointed out that I'd like to see the whole IDE using only one platform, not several simultaneously. If I develop purely Win32 applications, I might not want to install .NET just to run the compiler on my machine. Of course, it's one of these situations where you have no other choice than "to obey", but it's still an inconvenience. Most importantly, because as it was already mentioned, the majority of IDE doesn't need .NET Framework.

For instance, I never had Java runtimes installed for past 4 years and it would be the same for .NET, if it wasn't for BDS 2005 / Turbo Delphi.

Quote Originally Posted by rif
I think the best way to promote Delphi and FreePascal is simply to write better applications with it, make videos and write articles on the net on how to solve programming problems. When you can make it easy to get started programming Delphi/Pascal and can show some famous software product developed in Delphi, more people will chose it.
I think if CodeGear can persuade some institutions to give classes in Delphi/ObjectPascal, it will greatly improve awareness and potential customer base for their products. They could even give some of the courses themselves. Having many Delphi-made applications is a plus, but people will still have to invest learning Delphi.

P.S. I somehow feel more CodeGear emphasis on their Delphi for PHP (I've been getting some e-mails in my spambox about CodeGear showing off their productline in nearby city). Sounds like they are still not focusing much on Win32/64. Too bad.