@Andreaz: I am planning on having the arena larger than the screen so the camera will always be above the player's ship (in version #1 and #2) and the arena scrolling when necessary.

@tpascal: I was not planning on using a 3d api to do the 2d graphics - I am hoping to get the game to run on the GP2X handheld console as well (doesn't have OpenGL, etc.).

I know this may limit me somewhat with graphics quality (using a SDL software renderer), but on the 320x240 3.5" screen you shouldn't notice much. If I was going for a PC only version, then I would use OpenGL under SDL to make my life easier.

When I am talking about what to rotate/translate - the ship, or the arena, I mean that in version #1, the ship would be in the center of the screen, and not apear to move or rotate, but the area would move and rotate around the ship.

@User137: I just had a look at screenshot of Subspace Continuum and read the game play (http://www.subspacedownloads.com/index.php?act=what_is) - the powerball zone sounds very very similar to what I was going to make, and I had never heard of the game before!!! LOL!

cheers,
Paul