Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Game - (Asteroids clone made with Windows GDI)

Re: My Game - (Asteroids clone made with Windows GDI)

I really liked it,
    the bg music is cool, the graphics are cool, everything is cool

nice work
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Nice to hear that you like it!

Here's an updated version with explosion animations and sound effects added. Not so big visible changes but 'under the hood' has happened a lot.

I re-wrote in game audio system but it's still incomplete. I have to re-write it to support multiple simultaneous channels from one sample data (you can hear the lack of it on explosions).

Also mainloop is optimized and is now ready to accept gamestates.

Couple other minor changes are:
    - statics are now showing count of visible explosions.
    - sound effect samples (still not final versions).
    - Fire rate is now more rapid.
    - Shuttle rotates faster.

There's still whole lot of things to do and those explosions gave couple things more. Next I will adjust them to blast range based on the size of the destroyed asteroid. So, that bigger asteroids has bigger explosion.

After that I fix the audio to it's final version (for this release of the game) and then I begun to think those game states (lives, scoring, levels and etc.). So, we get a real game going...

Hmm.. should I think some name for this...

Here you go:
    http://www.saunalahti.fi/hag/share/M...006_0302AM.zip

And again I'm interested how it runs on which kind of computer. And if there's any problems with it I would be pleased to know - thanks.
    - In a world without the wall and fences, who will need the Gates and Windows.

Game runs smooth here. Antivirus still gives warnings though.
    I'd like to see some kind of "You won" message at the end. Now there is just empty space.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Game runs smooth here. Antivirus still gives warnings though.
    I'd like to see some kind of "You won" message at the end. Now there is just empty space.
    Thansks for your reply. Nice to hear that game runs smoothly.

There's no "won" or any other messages at the end because I'm not considering this is a 'real game' yet.

But after I begin to create those game states there will be so, be patient my friend. (actually I'm thinking somekind 'win' animation after when the stage is clear).

Soon, soon...

Status update and question.

Development of 'my game' is on the right track. I have implemented new font system which can be used for menus, scores, statics and etc.

Also audio system is re-written and plays now multiple channels if needed (simultaneous explosions for example).

Sound samples are now final versions for this game.

Explosion animations is now based on the size of exploding asteroid.

There's a handfull of different sound tracks picked up for in game music.

And some optimizing of a source code has been done.

Currently I'm doing a selection to play in fullscreen or in windowed mode and that pops up a one question.

If computer has widescreen display should I set fullscreen resolution so, that aspect ratio is taken care of?

I mean for example if I wan't to set 1024*nnn resolution. So, if user has widescreen then it would be 1024x640 (that gives nice 1.6 ratio [European "flat" ratio], also called Super 16 format). And if user has 4:3 display then resolution would be 1024x768 (that gives 1.3333 ratio [NTSC/PAL]).

BUT isn't that so, setting the resolutions by that way, it gives advantage for the 4:3 display owner because there's more 'room' where to move and so on?

I have widescreen and I tried 1024x768 on fullscreen mode and it looks much fuzzier than 1024x640 resolution. What should I do or should I do nothing?

In windowed mode resolution can be 1024x768 for both display types but fullscreen is givin me a headache. Tell me how it should be handled? Which is the correct way to set resolution so that game objects are not streched??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12