Quote Originally Posted by GordonShumway
Quote Originally Posted by pstudio
I'm not gonna bother myself voting because no matter what the date will be a bad time for someone. Recently there was a talk about letting the competion last for a year. I think that's a much more important point to be concerned about than when to start the competition. If a PGD annual lasts about a year (without the competition theme requiring you to work for a full year) then everyone can work on it when they feel they have the time.
Agreed.
Hmm. I've never participated in any PGD competition, but I can see the logic behind this. On the other hand, I suppose I can also see the logic behind a fairly limited duration. Supposing the competition only lasts a week/end, yes, not everyone will have that weekend free, but at least everyone who chooses to participate will more or less have the same amount of time (and thus be on par). A competition stretched across an entire year is going to be naturally biased towards those who can and do spend THE WHOLE YEAR working on and polishing their games (versus those who can only take a little time here and there).

That said, what is the end goal of the PGD?

If it's to test rapid development skills, the ability to work under pressure, design and prototype experimental systems etc... then a short duration is preferable.

If it's "make the best game you can" duration shouldn't really be a factor. We all know that certain companies take yeeeeaaaaarrrrrssss to release their games, but that their games are generally quite good when they come out. Also, an ability to work fast doesn't necessarily equate to being a good game designer.

Wow, long-winded rambling of a post.

At any rate, if it means I get the opportunity to see MORE (pascal) developers and MORE (pascal) games, I'm all for a longer duration.

//lol, a final question: I notice the options in the poll run from Jan-Dec. We've already passed June. If the 'winning month' falls under July-Dec, does that indicate July-Dec of this year, or next?