Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fangorodrim

Re: Fangorodrim

Hi Mikade, thanks for the great feedback. I always appreciate it when someone writes a great review like this. All of your criticisms are valid and I'll definitely work on them. Right now everyone's biggest complaint is the keys. A good objective is to permit the user to define his own keys. Anyway, v1.59 is out and you can scuttle buildings/ships by right-clicking on them:
    http://www.metalbuildingreplicas.com...angorodrim.zip

Thanks again!

Enjoyed the game, but as a hardcore RTS fan came up with couple suggestions too.

- Controls: The strafing ship is too difficult to control, mainly because fire keys are put so far away in weird place. What i'd find comfortable is arrow keys, L to fire, K held down the left and right keys would strafe instead of turn. Possibly L primary fire, K some secondary fire, J strafe and I for Warp. ... or maybe let us change keys ourselves

- Warping: It is too unpredictable. I'd like a screen for target selection, also a more complicated starmap would be cool. Planets in a starsystem are orbiting in quite different way...

- Enemies: Very arcade-like. I'd be happy if enemies had only all the tools and gameplay ways that player has. Ships are spawning out of nowhere and AI doesn't build or take control of planets.

- Minerals: There should be ways to build some basic harvesting facilities from beginning. If player currently does not go for power first he will lose the game, because he will run out of power. There could be research for more advanced facilities that give resources faster, and that might mean that player has to scuttle out previous plant for room.

- Defence probe could be mobile. If you place it in wrong place, with short range it is useless. Enemies come from all directions anyway.

Hope that helps

Good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by User137
    - Enemies: Very arcade-like. I'd be happy if enemies had only all the tools and gameplay ways that player has. Ships are spawning out of nowhere and AI doesn't build or take control of planets.

- Defence probe could be mobile. If you place it in wrong place, with short range it is useless. Enemies come from all directions anyway.
    I wonder what version you have because starting with v1.54, the enemies don't spawn from all directions, only from existing warp lanes. If you think a sector is sealed off, but aliens continue to invade it that means another sector has access that you are not aware of.

I did use the latest version, and i don't mean like "all directions" as 360 degrees. Just in large map there can be many directions (left,right,top + maybe some variants) they come from, when you start in down-middle.

v1.63 is uploaded:
    http://www.metalbuildingreplicas.com...angorodrim.zip

This implements some of user137's suggestions with Trade Ports, Hangars, and additional strafe keys (</>). I'm getting ready to wrap this game up and move on. It's been fun!

Blog Entries

Any screenshots or video of the new version in action?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

v1.66 is the final version (as of now). The screen shots have not significantly changed. I'm currently working on another game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123