FreePascal is made by developers. Not designers who care about end user experiences, like Delphi most likely is. Lazarus especially is rapidly changing in both form and configuration. Now, I haven't used Delphi since Turbo Delphi, which was okay, but limited, so I don't know how objective this post is (I always rebuild fpc/lazarus every 3 days or so)

You'll always have trouble setting FPC/Lazarus up on a unix system, if you haven't used the lower level configuration interfaces for at least a decade(Mac...). I still haven't figured out how even Linux folks can tolerate all the access restrictions and the amount of different directories.

Delphi is straight forward. You get what you think you get, which is a Win32 compiler with a graphical IDE. It works

Lazarus is straight forward when you have it running. You get what you've configured it, and all the other tools for, whether it's Win32, win64, linux, amiga, etc. If you accidentally have other tools in the path, or hidden in user folders somewhere it might act different from what you thought it would do. But at least you'll be able to change this You'll have to rebuild it to install components which might seem scary, but it's (almost) perfectly safe, and even beneficial in many cases

I mostly work in embedded systems those days(ARM, AVR32, etc), so I have no need for Delphi at all, so I'm of course biased