Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
> I've found that the delphi debugger works great in 95% of the cases, but GDB let me down way more often. It often gives me errors like: Symbol not found in context or similar. I just tried to debug an application, but it didn't work AT ALL. It just seemed to hang in debug mode after I hit F9... Ctrl+F2 doesn't help, and after some time the application will be shut down automatically (Do note that I am using an automatic build of a few days back). Also, each time I start my application (with certain linker options) i get a SIGSEGV error from the debugger, which is really annoying when you want to test your software quickly. I want to feel comfortable with these things, but I always end up getting annoyed by these issues.
Sometimes this hints for lack of debug information in the project settings. There are alot of options for compiler options, and you also need to take out all code optimizations for smoother debugging. Also if the SIGSEGV is caused by a DLL like OpenGL or DirectX even Delphi can't trace what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
> In delphi, I love to CTRL-click somewhere to jump to the definition. I really miss that in Lazarus.
> On ubuntu, it is not possible to restore the entire IDE with one action. I have to maximize every single IDE window separately, which slows me down quite a lot.
> And a nitpick: The delphi compiler seems quite a bit quicker than FPC. Not a big issue for me though, but it belongs in the list.
In Lazarus you can Ctrl-click to jump to definition. And also Ctrl+Shift+Down to jump to implementation. All keys and controls are configurable.
I have not noticed any speed issues so far. Apps start really fast, on Windows 7 at least. I read some compiler options increased the speed greatly for Linux aswell, smart linking be 1 of them?

I don't even consider using Delphi anymore, though i have old Delphi 7 still installed. FPC/Lazarus is free which is the main thing. And as far as actual coding with the IDE go, i'm starting to like Lazarus alot. Have also managed to get 1 or 2 past issues fixed with the bug ticket system