Well, I have actually thought long and hard about the language to implement it in, and here are my thoughts

Java
<ul>
<li>Fast for number crunching (very close to C++), but it takes far too much memory</li>
<li>Its cross platform (YESSS...), but you need to make sure everyone has the JVM (a major pain)</li>
<li>Good standard libraries. But this is where the UI falls short. Swing is dog slow, and I still don't like layout managers that much.</li>
<li>Looks good on your resume </li>[/list]

C++
<ul>
<li>Powerful, but complex.</li>
<li>I'm very familiar with this language, so I'm still more productive here</li>
<li>cross platform hard to achieve</li>
<li>Looks good on your resume too</li>[/list]

Delphi
<ul>
<li>Love dragging components on to a form. That's just plain easy, and practically painless</li>
<li>Lack of proper generics like C++ (Java has this problem too). It doesn't have a standard set of container classes , so I've got to write my own!!!</li>
<li>Lack of XML support. I could use MSXML ActiveX components, but that'll mean I need the Pro version. Don't have enough $$$ to $pend. OpenXML seems pretty ok, but I'll have to look into it more</li>
<li>Lack of programmer communities, but now that there's this site, this isn't so much of an issue </li>