Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
I'm still confused though. If I was a professional game programmer and wanted to write a 2D game, what would I be using then? Direct3d (as above) or DirectDraw? And which version of DX would I be concentrating on?
Imo, you're thinking in the wrong direction. You should use whatever you're comfortable with and not follow the rest by choosing something that is used a lot by others.
If you're good with Asphyre or Omega then thats perfectly okay. There really is no right or wrong here.

As for what professional gameprogrammers use, I can only guess, but I think I'm pretty warm when I say Direct3D. Then again, most 'pros' don't use Delphi, but C++ :roll:
I started with DelphiX because I had no idea what I needed. The decision for me now is important, it seems Directdraw is all I need, but is there any point in learning the detailed stuff for something that will soon disappear? (assuming it will).

So I'm now thinking perhaps I should start learning in 2004/2005 what will be expected over the next couple of years.

But it does seem silly to me having to learn more complicated stuff with Direct3D if all I want to do is 2d scrolling games. But I'm also keen on sticking with DirectX.

I'll investigate some more and get even more confused!

Thanks all.