Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
Have you tried what I sad in my post about downscaling (slowly scale down any of your photos in your popular photo editing tool and you wil quickly understand what I mean).
This is only going to cause an issue if an image is repeat-ably down-scaled, thus reducing the quality by lots. Only being down-scaled once is going to be just fine.

You should understand that highres graphics would use much more memory for storing them. So if you have a lot of graphics you could soon find out that your game won't be able to run on most older computers, becouse they would lack the necessary graphic memory to store all of those highres graphics in it. Also using higres graphics requires more procesing power from the graphics card especialy when using scaling as this requres even more procesing. So it is posible that many older computers wont have graphics cards wich would be capable of renderning your game with decent FPS.
Yes you could downsample your graphics at the verry start of the game, but this will increase the games loading time quite a bit. And noone likes wating long for the game to load.
I can see the memory and loading times being an issue, but it might work...

Anywhay if it would be so easy ass you think everyboddy would be using this aproach. How many games have you ever seen using this aproach. I don't recal any of them.
How could you tell if a game used the down-scale approach anyway?