Honestly, if you are just using someone elses engine(without doing much coding) you're making a mod of someone elses game, not making your own.

I suggest you just start small. Don't try to make the next Quake, Unreal or EverQuest. It ain't gonna happen like that. But, you will get better and make more complex games. Just know that you have to start at the beginning and work your way up the knowledge ladder.

Game engines also depend on what genre of game you are making. ie. if You are making an RPG, First Person Shooter, Side-Scroller, Real-Time Strategy, Puzzle Game, Platform Game(ie. Megaman, Contra or Super Mario Bros.), etc, then your game engine would be virtually different and *your* game's characteristics would be contained by the engine it's self.

:!: However, if you mean Graphics engine, thats something COMPLETELY different. :!:

:arrow: A GRAPHICS Engine is the code for using graphics. This is NOT the GAME Engine!

:arrow: The GAME Engine is basically the main part of the game, or in other words the thing that brings all the peices of the code together and makes it all work.

:arrow: The SOUND Engine is the same thing as the GRAPHICS Engine, only it's for the sound instead.

I hope I helped to clairify some uncertanties here. If not, please ask what you don't understand.