Thread: New hardware needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey, thanks guys.
    @User137: Very useful links, thanks.
    @all: I think I might go the AMD way. My actual PC is an Intel Core 2 Duo, with mainly Xubuntu 12.04 on it. Everything other than XFCE seems to slow down my Geforce 8600 GT. In my shop I got an Athlonx 64 X2 with only 2GB RAM (my home PC's got 4GB), already over one year old with onboard graphics and it seems faster to me. The PC before my actual home PC is already in my shop, it's a Pentium 4, a snail. Before that I had an AMD K5? It was like a Pentium with 200 MHz and was really fast for that days.
    Well, I am not the hardcore gamer (seems that game programmers don't have time to play games ...) but now and then I like to play some games. I will definately have a look at the new Tomb Raider next year, besides of that we have some nice German PC gaming magazines with full versions on their CDs/DVDs. For example Drakensang used to be on one. Needless to say it doesn't perform very well on my actual PC.
    Oh, another point I have to take care of: the graphics card needs to have a VGA port, since my (bit older) FullHD display has no other option to connect.

EDIT: What I found for even a lower price (319,00€) is a complete system with an Athlon II X4 631, 8GB RAM (DDR 3 - 1333MHz only), a Radeon HD6670 with 2GB and 640 GB HDD. (It will be a dualboot system). At last this is a bargain, I guess ...
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 10-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey