Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Puzzle for Linux

8 Puzzle for Linux

Fellow pascal game developers!

I'm pleased to give a pre-view of yet a Linux game. Again it's from an old and tested concept with my own touch added.
    The 8 puzzle. The smaller cousin of the more famous 15 puzzle. The added touch is the non international standard number systems.

( Unfortunately I don't speak either of Chinese, Thai, Ethiopian or Greek languages so I had to rely on internet search for getting those numerals. )

As usual the file is incredibly small and system requirements modest. In this case there's not even a timer function involved. Pure logic.
    The game/puzzle runs well in virtual linux machines.
    Hopefully the program behaves well on HighDPI settings.

There is probably more polishing to do, depending on feedback, but the game is fully playable already.

One missing point is the start position. Now always the same. Randomized start values is on the to do list. However it's not as simple as just placing the tiles at random. From what I read not all combinations are solvable.

I can also mention the puzzle may appear in some form in some future adventure style game..

Anyway.. enjoy the 8 puzzzle.. feedback is always welcome

https://www.jonax.se/linux/8puzzle.php

This is much more known as sliding puzzle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
    Randomized start values is on the to do list. However it's not as simple as just placing the tiles at random. From what I read not all combinations are solvable.
    As far as I know all starting configurations of sliding puzzle are solvable.

Sliding puzzles more often use images instead of numbers. So I suggest you add support for using images within your game.
    In fact why not add ability for your program to be able to load one "final" image which is then split into 9 images (3x3 grid) where you then use first 8 images instead of the numbers.
    Game logic stays the same so implementing this should not be to difficult.

Then to make more variety you could add bigger girds like 4x4, 5x5, or even add some non squared grids like 3x4, 4,5 etc. Basically any sized grid larger than 2x3 works.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    As far as I know all starting configurations of sliding puzzle are solvable.
    True, unless the starting tiles are messed up. E.g. like here

I haven't done the math myself and I'm not going to try digging into that but from what I understand start postions like that really are unsolvable.

I made an updated version (0410) to demonstrate what I mean. Download the new version. Click the Mission Impossible button and you get the teal coloured background and a supposedly unsolvable start mode.

The normal solvable modes are still there of course.

Sliding puzzles more often use images instead of numbers. So I suggest you add support for using images within your game.
    Indeed images is a great idea which I'd love to implement.

However there are obstacles. Most important to obtain suitable images. Despite I like to dabble in drawing and occasionally show some attempts, making visually pleasing art is not my forte.

At some point it might be helpful to cooperate with a professional illustrator but that's expensive and not on the radar. I'm afraid you guys will have to make do with my home made image stuff for now.

The second obstacle is the High DPI support. No doubt solvable but will complicate the illustration situation. Actually I will have to start thinking about that for the next project. Hint: think ASCII art . I guess SVG is an option but I have no experience there.

Most important to obtain suitable images. Despite I like to dabble in drawing and occasionally show some attempts, making visually pleasing art is not my forte.
    The thing about sliding puzzle is that you can easily take any image or photo that doesn't have to many things on it and slice it into multiple images that then represent the movable pieces and thus generate puzzle from such image. Sure you could use pretty much any image but sliding puzzles made from images that have lots of little details on them can be very hard.
    You can check one of such examples on next website: https://www.artbylogic.com/puzzles/i...ageShuffle.htm

The second obstacle is the High DPI support. No doubt solvable but will complicate the illustration situation.
    If you go the route of using images then you don't even need to worry about High DPI awareness. Why? High DPI awareness is what is needed for your application to render fonts properly taking into account system scaling settings since in reality fonts are actually rendered by the operating system through the use of a specific API's. But when dealing with images you have complete control yourself.
    So all you need is for your source images to be in high enough resolution so they wont have to be stretched when shown on monitors with high resolution. As for showing suuch high resolution images on low resolution monitors. Well it is far easier to shrink large image down without loosing to much noticeable detail (take a look at all those thumbnails of your images that OS made for quickly browsing your image folders).

Actually I will have to start thinking about that for the next project. Hint: think ASCII art . I guess SVG is an option but I have no experience there.
    If you go for ASCI art by using text based components like TMemo for instance the most important function for you might be TextWidth which returns width of specific text in pixels so you could size up your component so that it can store whole lines: https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html...textwidth.html
    I'm not sure if FreePascal version takes into account DPI scalling but I know that Delphi version does since it is thigtly contectged into a specific canvas so it knows which DPI scalling has been used for that specific canvas: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Libr...nvas.TextWidth
    Just don't forget that you need to use monospaced fonts for ASCI art to work properly

And if you decide to go with images you may want to learn about Bitmap fonts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_font
    Bitmap fonts or sometimes also referred as BitFonts are commonly used in games. Most often the bitmap font is just a black and white image where you have white characters on a black background.
    Why white characters on black background? Because then you can also use such image directly as bitmask with which you can then control what part of another image is rendered and what skipped (area of white pixels is rendered while area of black pixels is skipped).
    Yes bitmap fonts usually also contain characters drawn in different sizes so you can reduce the amount if shrinking or stretching of such font images in order to represent different sized characters.

Yes using vector graphics would make scaling most easy and smooth on any resolution but as far as I know FreePascal does not support vector graphics out of the box so you would have to find suitable 3rd part library to add such support to your application. Here you may encounter a problem because some of the available libraries may be limited to only specific platforms.
    Not to mention that unless they are using extended CPU features or GPU features they could be quite slow. Sure if you have few vector based images your probably won't notice. But when you have several hundred of such images (one for each font character) the performance impact can be quite noticeable.
    Do you know that modern fonts which are also known as TrueType fonts /at least on windows) are actually vector based fonts? You can check FontForge which is an open sourced font making/editing program to easily see how existing fonts are made: https://fontforge.org/en-US/ You might be surprised of how many details certain fonts can have.

True, unless the starting tiles are messed up. E.g. like here
    I stand corrected. Not all puzzles are solvable. I have just tested yours with several online solvers None of them managed to solve it
    I was never any good at solving these myself. Perhaps I might go and check how computers are trying to solve such puzzles and learn just as how I learned how to solve Sudoku puzzles

Perhaps I might go and check how computers are trying to solve such puzzles and learn just as how I learned how to solve Sudoku puzzles
    Inded it would be interesting to see how computers tackle problems like this. I guess for small puzzles like 3x3 brute force could do it, or some clever algorithm. Wouldn't be surprised if those already exist somewhere. I also assume this could be a good start for the upcoming AIs. New AI:s or students of AI probably get these puzzles as one of their first assignments. But I'm on thin ice here and I also have no intention to try to make a program for solving the puzzle.

What I do know for certain is that a friend's class at a local university once got the assignmet to program a 15-puzzle in pascal. That was a long time ago so he had to do the programming on paper at home and then try it out on the univerity computer when access was available. I never saw his result but I recall he was pretty proud about it.

Meanwhile replying to your other post will have to wait. Right now I'm struggling with the randomizing thingie. Hopefully something can be presented any week now.

I guess for small puzzles like 3x3 brute force could do it, or some clever algorithm.
    I doubt brute force approach would be very effective here. Why? To many chances to end up repeating same sets of moves within a loop which could then end up in endless cycle.

Wouldn't be surprised if those already exist somewhere.
    Of course they do exist. One of the most common mentioned algorithm for solving Sliding puzzles is Iterative deepening A* algorithm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterative_deepening_A*

Update:

Progress quicker than anticipated.
    Random but solvable start mode now added (version 0413). Foreign numbers still available.
    It seems to work as intended, but one never knows what bugs dwell in the dark corners of the code.

Thanks for valuable feedback @silverwarior

No plans to use iterative deepening algorithms for this project.
    Got to start tackling the graphics /ascii art situation first.
    That will be a task for next mini-game project . Which hasn't started yet.

Now time to enjoy some well deserved beer and cheese

Update: it turned out the lightweight desktop environment LXQT doesn't come with Thai or Ethiopian fonts installed. I assume it's the same for the Xfce. I'm sure there are ways to install desired fonts there but I have no such experience. I'm afraid I have to say the 8Puzzle works best on KDE or Gnome.

Haven't yet started with the ascii art project and haven't digested all the suggestions from SilverWarior, but I totally agree about the monospaced fonts. Very useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast