I must agree with phibermon about the fact that FMX is not best example of abstracting Graphical API.
The main reason for this is the fact that in FMX both graphical and logical part are tightly coupled together while most grahpical engines try to keep graphical and logical part uncoupled.
Keeping logical and graphical parts uncoupled means that logical part won't be slowing down the graphical part or vice versa. Not to mention that it is much easier to implement multithreading support when you have graphical part decoupled from logical part.

Do you want example to see how logical part can affect graphical part in FMX?
Simply create a FMX form with let us say 200 panels positioned on it. Compile the project and then go and rapidly move the mouse over the form and you will see significant increase in CPU utilization. On my laptop this is enough to lower FPS below 15 and having 400 panels on the form I can easily lower the FPS to single digits. And don't think that my laptop is weak. It is still powerfull enough to run farCry3 with athleast 30 FPS on medium graphical settings provided that I disable the AntiAliasing and MultiSampling.

Anywhay when I first tried FireMonkey I was verry exited but got quickly disapointed with its performance.
And what disapointed me even more is that even with that fraction of FMX code that Embarcadero made avalable (mosty source code for certain components) you can't help yourself much if you decide to go and try creating some custom components.
So in the end I ended up making my own UI library which is on hold for about a year now. I don't like talking about it to much becouse I feel ashamed that I still haven't gotten it to a usable state even thou I started working on it about two years ago if not even earlier.