Thread: Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I could write an iOS tutorial either for games using either OpenGL ES 2.0 or Apple's UIKit with Xcode and FreePascal 2.6rc1, if I find some time.
    I have some material on the same theme, but I think Stoney is the authority on the whole chain (all the way to App Store, right?). Maybe I could follow-up on how to write iOS games "totally different"?

What I could cover includes:

- Installing FPC for iOS.
    - How to develop for iOS without Xcode.
    - Wrapping Cocoa for cross-platform development (games as well as standard GUIs).
    - Porting Mac applications/games to iOS.

and maybe some more from there. Game development with FPC in the Mac would be possible too, of course. And I could even write about what it was like to write and publish a successful game engine for the Mac in the 90's, if anyone wants to read about it. And a bit of GPU computing on the top, maybe.

It is a matter of finding time, of course, but also about what people really want to read. Very much the latter, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    I have some material on the same theme, but I think Stoney is the authority on the whole chain (all the way to App Store, right?). Maybe I could follow-up on how to write iOS games "totally different"?

What I could cover includes:

- Installing FPC for iOS.
    - How to develop for iOS without Xcode.
    - Wrapping Cocoa for cross-platform development (games as well as standard GUIs).
    - Porting Mac applications/games to iOS.

and maybe some more from there. Game development with FPC in the Mac would be possible too, of course.
    That sounds very useful, not that I have a iOS to play with LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    And I could even write about what it was like to write and publish a successful game engine for the Mac in the 90's, if anyone wants to read about it.
    I would really love to read about this topic

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    That sounds very useful, not that I have a iOS to play with LOL
    That is of course the limitation, not everybody have access to the stuff I would talk about. But then not everybody have tried it either.

I would really love to read about this topic
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have a draft written but sometimes some potential readers is what I need to finish. I have considered taking that to a gaming conference, but even if they accept it, who knows if I get an audience? (And if I do it for either PGM or the conference, it gets easy to do the other.)

Blog Entries
    Hey you guys, just dropping a line out of my first tastes of the internets in a LOONG time that my article should be here in the next 48 hours or so, as soon as I get a universal way of getting the cross-compiler working on more than just my box as for some reason it seems to hang on every other machine I try it on while compiling the LCL for lazarus

Of course, if any pioneers out there have any pointers where they had to defy the wikis and general guidance out there it'd be welcome because at this point it sure does feel like bashing my head against the wall (linux pun not intended ) and whenever it does go anywhere near right I always end up executing the arm binaries on my x86 OS.... Well, you get the picture......
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Hi!
    After some unexpected delays I'm back on work with my article. Unfortunatly it will take more time for me to complete it since I expanded the topic a bit.
    My article would now describe how to make a combat system for your game. While I do orient more on RPG styled game it is posible to modify my combat system to fit for other game geners like Strategy games, Space shothers, Squad managment based games etc. I will also write a few lines on how to adopt my combat system for theese geners.
    Also due the way my combat system works I have included guidelines for making basic inventory managment. The combat system calculates damage based on attacher character weapon atributes and attacked character armor atributes (different armor items like Boddy armor, Leg armor, Arms armor, Head armor). Direction off attack also affects defense (for instance lower defense when attacked from behind).
    And since I'm using class inheritance a lot I was also thinking to write a few lines on this matter. This would make my article much more understandable for those who have less experience in programing.

I do hope to finish it in the next few days.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 01-01-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Status update:

I categorically refuse to be beaten by FPC and this darn cross compiler... Despite all my efforts I simply cannot get the latest SVN releases to work properyl. I've changed my article about 4 times as I thought I had a method that works bit hey No choice: got to post on forums.... walk of shame......
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Status update:

I categorically refuse to be beaten by FPC and this darn cross compiler... Despite all my efforts I simply cannot get the latest SVN releases to work properyl. I've changed my article about 4 times as I thought I had a method that works bit hey No choice: got to post on forums.... walk of shame......
    Hi code_glitch, I don't know if this may help you? There is a general FAQ in pdf format about how to build and configure FPC: http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf

cheers,
    Paul