Thread: Looking for an OpenSCAD like 3D display component

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarreno View Post
    I'm looking for a component that would take simple scene parameters, a 3D object (in whatever format) and accept a limited amount of inputs, mainly mouse grab to rotate and mouse wheel to zoom.

I remember that some of the game engines/frameworks, I've tested through the years, contained a demo with just this. Some of them would also add a bit of rotation to said object.
    So basically you are looking for 3D model/scene viewer then.
    Well most 3D graphical engines does support rendering to specific window (so you can render onto your panel for instance) but such rendering is not common as it might affect engine performance. But since you intend to only show single 3D model or more simpler scenes the performance drop won't be an issue. And making a 3D graphical engine into 3D model viewer isn't even so difficult as you only need to initialize the graphical engine, load the 3D model, and then apply proper rendering technique for the 3D model to be rendered nicely.
    The only problem might be support for specific 3D model format as they are so many of them out there that you would probably have problem finding one graphical engine that could load all of them out of the box. So without us knowing in which format are your 3D scenes or models saved we can't provide you with any more specific suggestion of which graphical engine to use.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    So basically you are looking for 3D model/scene viewer then.
    I guess one can call it that. I keep trying to make a point based on OpenSCAD. Why? Simple: My objective is to do the same exact thing but WAY less generic.

But since you intend to only show single 3D model or more simpler scenes the performance drop won't be an issue. And making a 3D graphical engine into 3D model viewer isn't even so difficult as you only need to initialize the graphical engine, load the 3D model, and then apply proper rendering technique for the 3D model to be rendered nicely.
    This is pretty much what I had in mind.

The only problem might be support for specific 3D model format as they are so many of them out there that you would probably have problem finding one graphical engine that could load all of them out of the box. So without us knowing in which format are your 3D scenes or models saved we can't provide you with any more specific suggestion of which graphical engine to use.
    To answer this I can only say: I would have to stick to the default 3D Model format that specific engine/framework uses.

My scene is so simple that I would pretty much hardcode it into the bin any way. The only thing that actually changes is the box.

I actually have 2 specific ways of displaying the box:

1. Flat representation of the box that will be outputted to the SVG.
    This is useful, since I'm planning on having more than one arrangement of the sides.
    This will not need a 3D Model viewer. A simple DrawBox will do.
    2. 3D representation of the box, mainly because it's purty
    This is where I'm pretty much stuck.

And that's all she wrote, actually.
    Last edited by gcarreno; 06-10-2016 at 10:56 AM.