Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
@Will: Its always possible to make a hakintosh...
Actually the Hackintosh and virtual machine concept is completely legit these days. In fact when Steve Jobs first presented Mac OS X, he was running it on PC hardware. If that's not endorsement, then I don't know what is.

Do note that I said at least get Mac OS X running to do development from Mac to Windows if you were going that route. And for all commercial games I'd recommend making a Mac version of your games. You'll double your sales if not more since the Mac gaming market isn't quite as saturated as the Windows gaming. If the quality of your game is high and is quite marketable you can do well on the Mac today.

I don't mean to step over Cybermonkey's main topic here, but for commercial games, I would never do Linux as a priority unless it was a mere couple hours of work to include them. Adding Linux to your supported list of platforms is simply PR for your game as most Linux users don't want to buy anything that they use. It's like selling neck ties to pot smoking hippies.

As for the hardware, I only suggest getting something that is current and will have a little bit of power for now. (sorry I just can't say what that is as I don't by clone PC parts anymore) Should you want to go commercial(selling your games) in the next couple of years get a Mac or hardware that will run and be fully supported by Mac OS X. You'll still be able to develop for Android allowing you to hit the top 4 selling platforms for gaming.