Thread: Experimenting with WebGL...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I've examined the output of this converter and while it does an admirable job of optimizing the conversion of Pascal to Javascript, when concidering the limited performance of mobile devices and the relative slow performance of javascript/html5 compared to native executable binaries, you're sacrificing a significant part of your potential performance by using this.

That's not to say that I don't believe this is capable of creating games for such compatible platforms, but it'd be a hell of a shame to design an engine, code most of the game and then find out that you haven't got the cycles left to do what you need.

Plus there's the fact that there are optimized internal operations and language features that can't always, and sometimes just can't; be exploited by a pascal conversion because there's nothing comparable in the language.

I'd recommend anybody writing games using this software make the effort to make as much as the code compilable in Delphi/FPC as possible, that way if you do hit a wall, the option of switching to native code won't be so hard.
    Last edited by phibermon; 29-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.