Thread: Texture Perspective Tool

Texture Perspective Tool

This is my attempt to create a tool for "stripping" textures out of real world photos.
    Future releases (hoppefully) will provide a quadrangle to rectangle/texture transformation with proper perspective correction.

Downloads (ver. 1.0.1.4): https://sourceforge.net/projects/tex...XTURE_1.0.1.4/ (Windows Executable & full source code)

Screenshots:

Now I don't want to discourage you but doing simple transformation from slanted rectangle to regular rectangle will never return you nice results. Why? Because in order to render a smooth diagonal line you actually go and perform anti-aliasing in order to smooth that rough edges. So when you do transformation from slanted rectangle to regular rectangle those anti-aliased pixels are causing your lines to appear wavy instead of straight. In order to avoid this you will actually have to undo anti-aliasing of your picture which I'm not sure if it is even possible.
    You see doing transformation from regular rectangle to slanted rectangle is much easier because you first do direct transformation of each individual pixel and then apply anti-aliasing filter to the result in order to smooth out the rough edges.

Any way what I recommend you is that you first try to vectorize your image so that you extract most of the shapes from your image. Then do the transformation of that vectorized image so shapes are now nicely transformed. And finally try transferring of individual pixels to those transformed shapes.
    Surely this approach will cause you to lose some of teh finest detail but result should be still much better than the result with your current approach.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Now I don't want to discourage you but doing simple transformation from slanted rectangle to regular rectangle will never return you nice results. Why? Because in order to render a smooth diagonal line you actually go and perform anti-aliasing in order to smooth that rough edges. So when you do transformation from slanted rectangle to regular rectangle those anti-aliased pixels are causing your lines to appear wavy instead of straight. In order to avoid this you will actually have to undo anti-aliasing of your picture which I'm not sure if it is even possible.
    You see doing transformation from regular rectangle to slanted rectangle is much easier because you first do direct transformation of each individual pixel and then apply anti-aliasing filter to the result in order to smooth out the rough edges.

Any way what I recommend you is that you first try to vectorize your image so that you extract most of the shapes from your image. Then do the transformation of that vectorized image so shapes are now nicely transformed. And finally try transferring of individual pixels to those transformed shapes.
    Surely this approach will cause you to lose some of teh finest detail but result should be still much better than the result with your current approach.
    Never thought of that
    Do you think that a high quality scale algorithm (such as xBR, xBRZ ect) could help before making the transformation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    Do you think that a high quality scale algorithm (such as xBR, xBRZ ect) could help before making the transformation ?
    I doubt it would help much if at all. Why? Because most scaling algorithms also utilize Anti-Aliasing for smoothing of the final result. Which as I described above could eventually make things even worse especially if you are doing transformation after rescaling.
    I still think that the best bet would be to use vectorization. Why? Because after you turned raster image into vectoriozed one you can then do any kind of rescaling or transformation with little or no detail loss.

PS: If you are just interested in making a nice looking brick wall texture (which I doubt) I could give you a few hints on how to achieve that