Thread: Gumberoo - Making a new learning language intepreter using FPC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    That's a rather interesting project. But speaking frankly: lables and jumps are considered as bad programming, right?
    Well, keep in mind I consider Assembly/Machine language to be simpler than C... and in ASM you only have jump or call. The difference between CALL and a function is... uhm... yeah. At most the difference being passing a result in a register or on the stack. Just be glad I rejected the idea I had of making conditionals work like machine language.

While I've loved pascal from the day I first learned it on a DEC Rainbow, a lot of it's concepts and methods of working, like a number of more modern languages I feel require more time investment to do anything useful -- to that end there's python, but that has it's own host of issues and isn't entirely suited to what I want the projects focus to be.

A lot of this comes from my recent putterings on the Apple II and VIC 20... Pascal had a number of conceptual hurdles I never had to deal with in line numbered BASIC... hurdles I didn't really make it past until I was a teenager. I'm trying to find a middle-ground between the two, without treading into the noodle-doodle land that Python does with classes.

Again, I'm hoping to make it simple enough that with a decent manual a ten year old/4th grader could use it without adult intervention; which is why I reject python or even pascal. They make assumptions of knowledge and require certain amounts of programming theory, that honestly I glazed over at that age and gave up on before grasping them... Hell, I know adults today who glaze over on endless pages of theory going "where's the beef?".

It's a big bun. A big fluffy bun. It's a very big bun...
    WHERE'S THE BEEF?

In a lot of ways, I want to make what LOGO wanted to be but never was.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 16-04-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: added some clarification.
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure