Thread: Community Engine Announcement Discussions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The naming conventions will be covered in the developer guidelines, I'm going to be putting in the repos this weekend.

Not everyone will like them, but they have served me very well over the years. Type and class naming conventions will also be defined.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    The naming conventions will be covered in the developer guidelines, I'm going to be putting in the repos this weekend.

Not everyone will like them, but they have served me very well over the years. Type and class naming conventions will also be defined.
    so much for everyone having a say in your engine

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    so much for everyone having a say in your engine
    When someone initiates a project such as this there will be times when decisions are made by them or other people involved that not everyone will like. That unfortunately is a fact. An important part of being involved in community projects is the ability to compromise.

The truth of the matter is that as I started writing the guidelines last night I came to the conclusion that the naming conventions I was going to use added complexity that was unnecessary, so they've gone and been replaced by something much simpler and easier to follow. I've compromised what I would like for the benefit of the project. There is one thing I haven't compromised on and that is indentation. There was much discussion about this subject and a poll did not reach a clear majority, and so I elected to use the widely accepted (and most importantly, used) standard of 2 spaces. Not everyone will like that decision, but since it's not just us who may use the project's end results, I think following accepted standards is more important.

That said, the developer guidelines are pretty much a straight copy of the JEDI Delphi Style Guide (which is itself a widely accepted standard), in fact our guidelines don't specify everything, they are meant to be read alongside the JEDI guide, providing only project specific information such as headers and naming conventions. They have been submitted to the project repository and as we're not actually writing code yet, the guys have got an opportunity to comment.

Ultimately I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I truly believe that something needs to happen that will benefit the project and/or the community then I may, as the initiator of the project and the current community manager, make a decision that goes against the views of others involved in the project. Thus far, I've made one of those decisions (indentation) and I've explained my reasons here and to the team.

I should perhaps also point out that there is a private developers forum where a lot of discussion has been taking place, I think overall the standards encapsulate quite nicely the collective view of what we should do.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::