Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EGSL Interpreter

EGSL Interpreter

Hello folks,
    I thought instead of introducing myself, I will introduce my active project.
    Actually it consists of two projects: a (simple) game engine and an IDE.
    What is the EGSL interpreter? you might ask. It means "Easy Game Scripting with Lua". (Hehe, yes I like those acronyms). It's a simple engine based on SDL, SDL_gfx and SDL_mixer. Image loading is done via the Vampyre Imaging Library (to reduce the dependencies of SDL_Image). I also removed in the newest version the support for true type fonts, instead I implemented some functions to use bitmap fonts. The engine is developed in FreePascal and works on Windows and Linux. The result is a BASIC-like syntax for Lua as you can see in the screenshot.
    egsl-ide.jpg
    This also shows the IDE which is written in FreePascal/Lazarus and also works for Windows and Linux. Maybe it's interesting to know that one can generate stand-alone executables from the scripts for distributing the games. It's also possible to use the core engine with Pascal, esp. to gain speed. I ported Lode's raycaster to the egslengine, but with Lua I got 2-3 fps, with Pascal more than 30 fps.
    Since I have little freetime I am now working about 1 year on the project but I am rather pleased with the result. I am still far behind with the documentation so that will be my next priority.
    shooter.jpgspace.jpg
    Shooter1945 and Space are example games for EGSL, more to read on: http://www.egsl.retrogamecoding.org/
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    Neat!

Got a port for the Mac?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Neat!

Got a port for the Mac?
    Unfortunately, not. I don't have always access to a Mac. I tried it one time but had no luck. You are welcome to download the source and try to compile it. I think the IDE isn't the problem (although some paths etc. have to be changed). But I wasn't able to compile the interpreter because of some trouble with liblua.
    EDIT: I don't have much experience with Mac ...
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 25-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Cool work and Welcome !
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

Blog Entries
    Question; Is EGSL written in Object Pascal or just to a generic Pascal standard?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

EGSL is completely procedural driven and doesn't use any OOP (if this was your question).
    BTW, thanks for the presentation of EGSL on PGD News Round-up for June 2011.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

That's a nice project. So if I get you right with EGSL you can script a full game only by using LUA, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Freepascal-meets-SDL View Post
    That's a nice project. So if I get you right with EGSL you can script a full game only by using LUA, right?
    Yes, absolutely right. It has been done, e.g. on the showcase section of the egsl page. There is a little retro asteroids like game completely programmed using Lua.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Jeremy Darling would love your project. He's a bit Lua and scripting engine fan.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I'm sure Jeremy Darling would love your project. He's a bit Lua and scripting engine fan.
    Yes, I know, although I am not using his pLua unit ... ;-)
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast