Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could write an iOS tutorial either for games using either OpenGL ES 2.0 or Apple's UIKit with Xcode and FreePascal 2.6rc1, if I find some time.
    You can also use my so far third-part series on the changes of FreePascal 2.6.0 (Part1, Part2 and Part3) if you want to.
    What is the guestimated timeframe for the release of the fourth issue?
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Maybe if I get time, I could write a very simple tutorial on making a boulder dash like game using SDL or similar?
    As Stoney said, when do you want the articles by?

Blog Entries
    code_glitch: Android, awesome!

Stoney: iOS, great!

Paul: A tutorial on how to make Bolderdash would be neat. Maybe something for the Coder's Block section? Also what about The Probe? Have you made a "1.0 Final" version yet? Or maybe you could do a Special Report article on your experiences developing for different platforms and where you can see this going in the future...?

Jim McKeeth from RemObjects has shown interest in writing something and so has Lifepower as well as Matthias from 'FreePascal-meets-SDL.' This is looking to be a very nice return to making issues for Pascal Gamer. And with new Desktop Publishing software too! (iStudio for Mac OS X)

I was also thinking about writing a fun visual history time-line of Pascal game development milestones from early 2000 until now. Anyone else like this idea?

Also... we have a couple of incomplete "series" from past issues of Pascal Gamer. Are we looking at continuing/completing these from this issue? (cronozphere, Jeremy Darling, Brainier?)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Paul: A tutorial on how to make Bolderdash would be neat. Maybe something for the Coder's Block section?
    Sounds good to me

Also what about The Probe? Have you made a "1.0 Final" version yet?
    In the next few days I will be releasing a bare-bones version of The Probe. There are no menus yet, but it will include a whole bunch of gaming elements that I have gotten working and showcased in some different levels so you guys can test it out and give me some feedback
    Not sure if that would be a Beta version, but who knows!

Or maybe you could do a Special Report article on your experiences developing for different platforms and where you can see this going in the future...?
    I will have a think on that one...I have only gotten Windows/Unix working so far, but thanks to SDL/OpenGL/OpenAL that wasn't too hard
    Not sure where that might be going in the future, and some other game libraries (ZenGL, RelOS?) would be way better than mine in this regard for future cross-platform updates...

I could probably write something about beggining with SDL - or, since Paul already steep out on this one, BASS. Maybe a small article about a leveled.

I might be able to write something as well. I say "might" because I have very little time on my hands. Since I didn't have time to do pascal programming during the last few months (apart from some android experiments, which will already be covered), I think it's best to do something more general, like matrix/vector math or perhaps perlin noise.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to Super Vegeta we have out first submitted article. I may have had one other article submitted way back, I'll have to check.

Math stuff to go into the Coder's Block would be great. Math is after all one of the main principals behind programming. Probably why my high school back in the day put the math department in charge of all the CS stuff.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I could write an iOS tutorial either for games using either OpenGL ES 2.0 or Apple's UIKit with Xcode and FreePascal 2.6rc1, if I find some time.
    I have some material on the same theme, but I think Stoney is the authority on the whole chain (all the way to App Store, right?). Maybe I could follow-up on how to write iOS games "totally different"?

What I could cover includes:

- Installing FPC for iOS.
    - How to develop for iOS without Xcode.
    - Wrapping Cocoa for cross-platform development (games as well as standard GUIs).
    - Porting Mac applications/games to iOS.

and maybe some more from there. Game development with FPC in the Mac would be possible too, of course. And I could even write about what it was like to write and publish a successful game engine for the Mac in the 90's, if anyone wants to read about it. And a bit of GPU computing on the top, maybe.

It is a matter of finding time, of course, but also about what people really want to read. Very much the latter, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    I have some material on the same theme, but I think Stoney is the authority on the whole chain (all the way to App Store, right?). Maybe I could follow-up on how to write iOS games "totally different"?

What I could cover includes:

- Installing FPC for iOS.
    - How to develop for iOS without Xcode.
    - Wrapping Cocoa for cross-platform development (games as well as standard GUIs).
    - Porting Mac applications/games to iOS.

and maybe some more from there. Game development with FPC in the Mac would be possible too, of course.
    That sounds very useful, not that I have a iOS to play with LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    And I could even write about what it was like to write and publish a successful game engine for the Mac in the 90's, if anyone wants to read about it.
    I would really love to read about this topic

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    That sounds very useful, not that I have a iOS to play with LOL
    That is of course the limitation, not everybody have access to the stuff I would talk about. But then not everybody have tried it either.

I would really love to read about this topic
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have a draft written but sometimes some potential readers is what I need to finish. I have considered taking that to a gaming conference, but even if they accept it, who knows if I get an audience? (And if I do it for either PGM or the conference, it gets easy to do the other.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast