Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: 3rd PGD Challenge: At Your Command!

Blog Entries

Article: 3rd PGD Challenge: At Your Command!

Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Nice theme, this should be interesting contest.

I see great games in a near future...
    No signature provided yet.

Finally a challenge suitable for me since most important part will be coding and not graphics in which I'm weak

So definitly count me in even thou I will be quite limited with my time.

Now which idea should I prusue? I already have a dozen of them

Hmm...interesting, I wonder what I will come up with this time

Sounds interesting but I still have no idea what I could do. What comes to my mind is Populous, Lemmings and SimCity ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Sounds interesting but I still have no idea what I could do. What comes to my mind is Populous, Lemmings and SimCity ...
    SimCity? Only if you pan on simulating the pepole and vehicles in it.

But other than that any RTS game with units would fit into the rules since you are not controlling your units directly.
    I think you could even do RPG if you control your character indirectly by giving it commands like MoveTo, Pick this up, Attack this, etc.
    You could make a game with lots of bots to which you write a custom AI which takes care for their movment, etc.
    The current theme actually leaves to many options so I'm having trouble in deciding whoch one should I prusue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Well of course the easy way to solve this is to pick something that has already been done a lot and match it to the challenge, but why not try making something new? Multiple characters in a RTS or SimCity (or SimVillage?) simulation have their own genre following, but what about seeing what you can do with a smaller cast of characters too? Or... a single guy that you have to "push his buttons" to make him do what you need him to do to "win" a goal or pass a level.

This is not to say that going with those choices concept is "bad", but pushing creativity should be encouraged. I know that my "pick" will probably go to the game that is the most creative in design, because I like it when people try something new and different.

It's all up to you guys, I'm just trying to keep the idea of trying something new in the air.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I got a few questions?

Does the "protagonist" have to be visible in game? I
    dea of a game where you are controlling your whole kingdom from kings point of wiew. You are just isuing orders which are caried out by your units. These units aren't even rendered in the game as the king isn't able to see them when they are on the other side of the kingdom.

Can I make a game where I as a captian controll the ship by simply isueing orders like (turn left, turn right, set heading to, hoist all sails, fire port cannons, etc.)?

How much autonomy could my "protagonists" have? Can I make a game where my characters are compleetly autonomus (I don't even need to isue any commands)?

Blog Entries
    Your questions hath been answered!

Please note that I have opened a new thread for any and all questions you all may have about the theme and rules and such.

BTW I'm glad that you guys seem to all like the theme. This one has been brewing in my brain-box for at leats a year or so now.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast