View Poll Results: Would you buy "Light" Edition of Delphi at $199? (Read thread for description!)

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO and/or it's too much!

14 56.00%
  • YES, but it's a bit high. (Post what you think is fair!)

1 4.00%
  • YES!

7 28.00%
  • YES, but I need the tools to run on ______ OS.

3 12.00%

Thread: How much would you pay for this concept for a "Light" Delphi Edition?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What I miss is an option "This is not realistic at all". If you see that Embacadero has abolished (real) discounts on the Pro product (they only give free goodies in the period just before a new version comes out, but no way you can get it cheaper than upgrade price (*)),
    moreover they have stated several time that the feature richness of Turbo Delphi was a mistake.

They are essentially milking the platform for all that it is worth,hoping to sell each older Delphi user a $499 version sooner or later. Just look at the new mobile offerings. Do you see any new users? They are all old Delphians being tempted into dabbling a bit with multiplatform and hoping for mobile quick cash. (or get nagging users of their backs). That's the new business model. Anything cheap will only detract from that. Specially hoping for "no license limitation" is ridiculous.

Essentially the premise is "upgrade one more time, and we tempt you by bundling something that sounds good".

IMHO this is kidding yourself and wishing for the moon. It is essentially begging. And worse, begging for something that will never happen.

(*) the "You can't upgrade from this version" condition is luckily pretty fluid.

Disclosure: yes, I am a FPC member, but also a Delphi customer (for my day job) But that also means I have been a Borland watcher for over 15 years.
    Last edited by marcov; 02-08-2013 at 07:52 PM.