Thread: The New PGD Starts Tomorrow!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I had same issue as pain. Locked out, would not accept the password that was sent etc etc.

Are there any real benefits to the new forum software? Or was it just change for sake of change?
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    I had same issue as pain. Locked out, would not accept the password that was sent etc etc.

Are there any real benefits to the new forum software? Or was it just change for sake of change?
    The main purpose was to add new functionality such as the blogs and articles which would easily allow the regular users to contribute to the overall site. (as far as I can tell) Deciding if it has more benefits than SMF is largely opinion, though.

(Blah double post?)

Blog Entries
    Well I'm sorry that past members like "Pain" feel like they have to leave a community like ours. The change over to the new VBulletin was not made over night. In fact we looked all over for a new replacement for SMF. We were not going back to phpBB obviously because it did not have the features we needed AND the current SMF was not working properly. We also felt that SMF 2 would also not give us the functionality and bug-free usage that a "paid for" site software would.

So rather than waste time programming our own software to incorporate all the features our members would desire, we chose to go with vBulletin instead so that we would have more time to focus on more fun and interesting things such as future PGD Annual competitions, advertising and bringing new people to the community, writing articles, posting news on the main page once again (tell me you don't miss that?) and organizing events for everyone to enjoy.

Free BB and CMS software was and is not the answer for us at PGD. The adjustment to a new site software will bring a period of adjustment no matter what we went with. We are working to fix accounts and get you up and working again, however this is a part of the adjustment process. If you are willing to go through the odd inconveniences initially I'm sure that you will find the rewards of the new site worth it.

As for benefits of vBulletin there are many I've listed some of the main ones on the main page.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder