Thread: My stance on used games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Potential sales? Oh please... If they can't afford to buy retail version, they wouldn't buy it anyway. Buying used game is better than pirating it (which by the way will increase when you can't buy used game and can't afford retail price). Dev won't get money anyway and it'll just hurt them in the long run.

This tactic is very short-sighted. If I'd want to buy console (which I don't have money for as I'm facing foreclosure) I'd choose Wii U. Not only because I love Mario games, but also because Nintendo seems happy to let players sell their own games or transfer ownership when they don't play them anymore. Otherwise they'd stop used Wii games ecosystem long time ago.

I personally, when I'll develop game for sale will release it on Torrents (besides demo version on site or paid option) and without any "funny" business like Game Dev Story fake. If my game is any good, people will buy it anyways. If not - well sucks to be me, but I won't never, I say NEVER blame piracy for that. Only my own incompetence as developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    I personally, when I'll develop game for sale will release it on Torrents (besides demo version on site or paid option) and without any "funny" business like Game Dev Story fake. If my game is any good, people will buy it anyways. If not - well sucks to be me, but I won't never, I say NEVER blame piracy for that. Only my own incompetence as developer.
    That's inspiring idea actually. There's way too many people who still believe that piracy is away from developers wallets, when it's actually the opposite. It is a method of free advertising and fanbase increase. Especially if you willingly allow piratism and let public know, it would multiply the effects.

I thought it was on topic, that Microsoft reversed their thinking for Xbox One
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...-today-1160205
    They propably received too much negative feedback from players, and bended to their will, to keep even some credibility. It seemed that PS4 would win the "console wars" otherwise, with their nonrestricted playing and trading.

Yup, they did, but they still sucks for indie devs (and devs in general). PS4 is still way to go.