Thread: About the goal of this engine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Relfos: On the XKCD picture its as I said before, not the people creating the universal 15th standard whoa re at fault. Its those involved the previous 14 standards who refuse to accept the new standard for whatever reason.

Also, you mention a very small market - this is far from what everyone is seeing. There is an increasing demand for better engines to power web games, mobile games, desktop games and console games. And the indie scene is booming in all those markets. The demand is increasing - not the other way around. You also mention unity - this is, if I'm not mistaken, one of the target the PGDCE has in its cross-hairs. We can't have everyones engines rival it. So we'll make one that does things it cannot. The "move to unity/ue/engine_name_here" is great. But what if you want to write it in pascal? Its not like you *can't* its just inconvenient with current solutions (in the sense that there are better alternatives if you are okay to forego using pascal for some other language).

Not only that, but the PGDCE is being designed in a highly modular nature. Why? Because there's more to code than just games. Game engines, are in my experience, a fantastic starting point if you're developing a new UI to fly an aircraft where you want to display things with not just guages, but better 3D UIs. Thats one instance I have actually tested out anyways. That article is great - and it does support your stance on this. BUT - here we have many developpers with different everything. The engine we're making is not some creation of some isolated programmer built around one use case. Its quite the opposite in fact. Put it this way: I read that article and decide to make a game with an already existing engine/system. Whats my best choice? Why the PGDCE. We're making that engine that everyone can develop games with - no matter the genre/type/platform. Its 'not just another engine'.

Edit: Also relfos, might I point out that the PGDCE is (as it says on the tin) made by a community. It has people around the engine who are working together. That right there is something to not forget - there's a community around it and its ambitions. If it was not necessary, there would be no PGDCE as a result and as a result no PGDCE to argue about . The fact the PGDCE exists and we are having this debate is proof that it is in fact something people would like to see/need.
    Last edited by code_glitch; 04-07-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.